Győr -  Municipial Museum of Art

Győr - Municipial Museum of Art

9021 - Gyor (Győr-Moson-Sopron)
Király utca 17.
Tel: (96) 322-695
Fax: (96) 322-695
web : Győr - Municipial Museum of Art

Museums are not the innovations of recent centuries. The first museum opened its gate before the visitors in Alexandria. The goal was the same then as it is today: to share and spread our inestimable value - our culture.

Our enthusiasm about museums was driven by curiosity. How did people live in the past? When was this or that object invented? What does the painter want to express? We are to pose question in order to understand and value the world around us. In year 2000 we asked ourselves the question of where we can find the museums on the Internet. What we found was very little. Actual pieces of information about exhibitions and programmes were also missing. Often the web pages reflected the out-of-date reality of the past. It was then when we decided to make the And now we are here. We have done it at long last. We are eager to present the beauties and values of Hungary through the treasure houses of culture - the museums.

The Diocese Library of Győr was formed by the fusion of two valuable libraries. It contains the books of the Priest Educating Institute and the cathedral.

The Seminary started its operation in 1688. Its library contains but a few books from the first century of its existance, for the collection was injured several times. In 1763 an earthquake caused serious damage to the volumes. Some of the boos were shipped to Bratislava in 1784. The soldiers of Napoleon also caused damages in the collection in 1809.

Donations formed the main saurce of the growing. In 1793, priest of Répcekőhalom, János Lőrentz presented 1300 volumes to the library, in 1803 Mihály Dongó gave 2000 books, and in 1821 Sándor Balogh left 5762 books to the library. Sándor Balogh had purchased a good number of valuable books from the professor of Vienna, and managed to obtain for instance József Calovino's library of very rare and valuable books.

The further extending library was merged with the library of the cathedral. The books of the cathedral were shipped to the new building of the Priest Educating institute.

The library of the cathedral started significantly growing in the beginning of the 17th century, mostly as a result of the council of Nagyszombat (1611) which announced that the books of the bishops and canons should be left to these collections. Thanks to the researches of Judit Vásárhelyi, we now exactly know aboutthe 17th century possessors of the collection. Demeter Náprági had 50 volumes - a part of which belonged to famous persons such as Zsigmond János prince of Transsylvania, Zsigmond Báthory or István Báthory Polish king. The name of Mátyás Nyéki Vörös is marked in 22 works, but we also know dozens of canons who had books here at this time. Although not all involved left their books to this collection, the institute significantly grew during the course of time.

The last great donator was canon János Holdházy János. (One of the chambers was named after him.) He donated about 4000 volumes to the institute. The growing collection made it necessary to extend the building. The library received its present form during the work of bishop Lipót Árpád Várady between 1911 and 1913.

The Treasury and Diocese Library of Győr today counts about 67 thousands of books, 1 thousand volumes of periodicals, 190 incunabula and 362 manuscripts from the times before 1850. A valuable part is the so-called Jauriensia-Collection, which contains the literature and works of the priests regarding the diocese.

Please check with vendor for all aspects of the information displayed here as the cannot be held liable for any inaccuracies or omissions. We will do our outmost to ensure that the information is as accurate as possible, if you have any comments please email us with the information.

Professional Web Design and Hosting service